Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Randy



Everybody that knows me knows I love Metal. (Yes, that's capital, "M")


From the time I was thirteen, until well into my thirties... I lived, breathed, and ate Metal.

I would sit with my little record player and my favorite LP's: Deep Purple Made In Japan and Made In Europe, Rainbow On Stage, Rush 2112, Van Halen 1, Ozzy with Randy, Judas Preist Unleashed in the East, UFO Strangers In The Night, and a few other ass-kickers.

I would listen to parts, lift the needle and go back time, and again, until I would figure out a riff or a lick. I literally wore those records out. The guys on those records were my guitar teachers.


Today is March 19th, 2013. I want to talk about the Ozzy records, specifically the first two albums "Blizzard of Oz" and "Diary of a Madman."

More specifically I want to talk about Randy Rhoads. Today marks 31 years since his senseless death in a plane crash while on the "Diary" tour in Florida.

I don't want to focus on his death though, it is his life that is so important to me and his legion of fans.

Up until 1980, my main influences were Ritchie Blackmore and Edward Van Halen. 

When "Blizzard" came out, it just blew my shit away! The solo in "Mr. Crowley,” to me, was the epitome of all that was Metal. Randy had the perfect blend of the classical influence of Blackmore, and the fiery Metal attitude from Los Angeles, pioneered by Van Halen.

I immediately took up the task of learning Randy's riffs and licks. It changed me as a player. His playing opened me up to a whole world of theory that I had not touched on. He inspired me to go deeper, and learn more about what I was playing and the music theory behind it. Up until that point, being self-taught, my knowledge was very limited. All I really knew where pentatonic patterns and a basic minor pattern. I didn't even know about relative major / minor keys.

I read everything I could about Randy. His few interviews in a couple of guitar magazines revealed a very humble guy, who was a completely dedicated musician.

To say that he really inspired me is an understatement.

When "Diary" came out... Holy Shit!

I wish you could have seen my face when "Over the Mountain" started playing through my speakers for the first time. Perfection. Then it was followed by ass-kicker, after ass-kicker!

The solo on "SATO" still stands as one of the best guitar solos of all time.

The riff right before the solo in "Diary,” still makes the hair on my arms stand up to this day.

The band I was in at the time played half a set of Randy tunes. (Ok...Ozzy tunes;)


I will never forget where I was when I heard that Randy was gone. I drove a delivery truck for a print shop at that time. I had just loaded up the truck down on Capitol Ave, next to the Hyatt in downtown Nashville. I listened to talk radio in the little Nissan pickup because it only had AM radio. I got in and turned it on just as the news was starting. I was just half-listening and heard the announcer talking about a rock band and a small plane crash in Florida. He said, "Dead at the scene were the pilot, the band's seamstress, and guitarist Randy Rhoads."

I just sat there saying, "What? No!" to myself. I had been so excited because they were coming to Nashville soon and I was going to see my hero live for the first time.

It was, devastating. 

I sat in my truck and cried.

When I got home that night, I grabbed my 8 tracks, and went out driving around and listened to Randy.


He had said in an interview, that his goal was not to be a big rock star or make all kinds of money.

He simply wanted to go back to school, and get a degree in music. He was an amazing classical guitarist.

He really was an excellent role model for any musician.


I am going to share something here that I don't tell very many people.

One of the toughest times in my life was back in 2000 when I had made a decision to get off drugs and alcohol. It was a very personal decision. Partying had been fun for many years but, from 1995 until 2000 addiction reared it's ugly head and really turned on me in a bad way.

A part of the program that I was involved in, (and am to this day,) was using a higher power to talk or pray to. I was not down with any of that at the time. On the other hand, I was pretty desperate and wanted to take the suggestions and work the program to the best of my ability. I felt like my life depended on it, at the time. (It did.)

They told me it could be whatever worked for me. It did not have to be anything specific but it was suggested that this "power," be loving and caring.

It just so happened that I came across a photo around that time. It was a picture of Randy with angel wings:




Now some of you may think this is silly, and that is fine.
I printed that picture out, and put it on the wall in my office at work, right next to where I sat. For weeks, as I sat there withdrawing and detoxing, I would just talk to Randy. I would ask him to help me. If I really felt like using or going to have a drink, I would just talk to my boy.
You know what?
It worked.
I am still clean to this day, 13 years later.
(Update, 20 years! 6/4/20)

I still talk to Randy from time to time. 
He holds a very special place in my heart. 
He did way more than just teach me the guitar.
He was only here for a short time, but, what a mark he made. I can't imagine what he would have done if he were still here. I am very grateful for the part of himself he left with us.
I miss you, Randy. Rock on my brother.




8 comments:

  1. This Is Beautiful I'm so glad Randy gave You strength , as he still does Today for So Many Blessings of Peace n Happiness for You as You continue to walk the Sobriety Path with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really nice tribute to such a wonderful musician. I'm sure if he were alive he would be proud to know that he helped you through a dark time and that he meant that much to you. Randy Rhoads is the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome dude.......God is with us always....I too survived many addictions in my life...and no matter what happened to me I always had my guitar and a Randy solo to work out. Goodbye to Romance is by far my favorite not cuz it is metal but because I remember "jonesing" but not wanting to get the "fix" so I would play that solo over and over. God empowers people to make a impact in this world, and that might sound silly to some but He used Randy and is still using him. Trust me there is a higher power and how ever you seek it or tap into it is not the point, how you live your life and how you show love is what it is all about, peace bro keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tribute man! It's not stupid at all. Results are what counts and it worked. I was blown away when I read this because I'm the guy that made that graphic of Randy with the wings. There are still a few other "winged" graphics of mine out there that have my name in the corner. This one didn't because it was done for the "Eternal Randy Rhoads" website.

    The site's owner hooked me up with several bootlegs in exchange for the graphic. :) I'm still blown away that it found it's way to you. Congrat's on your sobriety man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everybody. Todd...thank you so much for the graphic! I am eternally grateful! Great work man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great writing and glad you got it back together..Randy will live on through his music..we all miss him

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great story. I'm glad Randy helped you become sober. I got interested in classical guitar because of Mr. Randy Rhoads. My favorite of his time with Ozzy is "Dee!" It's all classical. Even his solos on the heavy songs were classical.I read that besides a lot of cigarettes and occasional drink Randy was drug free.

    ReplyDelete